Saturday, April 24, 2010

Unbelievable Buttery Shortbread

0

I’ve always had an inclination in favoring simple shortbread biscuits over rich chocolate cookies. Technically speaking a biscuit is a cookie in the U.K., and since the shortbread I’m raving about is from Scotland, we’ll call it a biscuit. I particularly like how the shortbread crumbles in your mouth. Shortbread is so named because of its crumbly texture from an old meaning of the word short, containing or cooked with shortening, such as butter. The cause of this texture is its high fat content, provided by the butter. Hence it’s crumblyness. Aside from it being delicate, it still is heavy because it’s unleavened. Like most commercial cookies they are almost always made with some form of leavening agent such as baking powder which gives it a different texture.

I so happened to come across a curios looking package containing shortbread biscuits while I was scrounging around Duty Free when I got back from Hong Kong. It was packaged simply without any extravagance at all that would indicate the makers to have hugely invested in their marketing strategy to sell their product. It was quite pricey, about $3.99 for a 160gram pack. But nonetheless I had to try it.

At first bite, Walker’s Pure Butter Shortbread did not disappoint me at all. It boasted of using the same Scottish family recipe since 1898. In fact, I could hear bagpipes playing in the background.

Since I tried Walker’s Pure Butter Shortbread, I haven’t seen it anywhere else. It’s not readily available in the groceries. So if you come across it, indulge yourself and try it. Who knows, this time you might get to have tea with Sean Connery.

No Response to "Unbelievable Buttery Shortbread"

Post a Comment